- stimulate stim‧u‧late [ˈstɪmjleɪt] verb [transitive]to encourage an activity to begin or develop further:
• Banks were urged to lower credit-card interest rates to stimulate consumer spending.
• Any increase in industrial activity will stimulate demand for electricity.— stimulative adjective :
• stimulative fiscal measures— stimulation noun [uncountable] :
• short-term economic stimulation
* * *stimulate UK US /ˈstɪmjəleɪt/ verb► [T] ECONOMICS to encourage something to grow, develop, or become active: »
The government plans to cut taxes in order to stimulate the economy.stimulate growth/investment/trade »
Liberalization should stimulate growth.stimulate demand/sales/interest »
We hope the discounts will help stimulate sales.► [I or T] to make someone excited and interested about something: »
I need to find a job that will stimulate me more.stimulation noun [U]
Financial and business terms. 2012.